November 18, 2006
Course to explore sites between Cairo and
SIUC, School of Architecture
Southern Illinois University will offer an internship this
summer for those interested in history and/or architecture.
"Preservation Summer 2006" is available to students
from all majors and disciplines and Continuing Education
participants to work on a team research project or to work
independently on a related special project. The 8-week class will
begin June 12, 2006 with research focusing on several regionally
and nationally significant historic sites located along the Ohio
River between Cairo and Metropolis in southern Illinois.
Areas of research include:
- Blues venues in Cairo from the early 20th century
- Underground Railway in Massac County from the
- Ironclad Cincinnati at Mound City, from the post Civil War
- Cantonment Wilkinson Ville, circa 1801-1802
- The barns of Union, Pulaski & Johnson counties
- Fort Defiance, Camp Smith, Camp Harding, circa 1860-1865
Course research and site data-gathering activities will be
organized around the number, interests, and skills of the
participants and will build on information developed during the
previous Preservation Summer classes.
Students will be introduced to the development history of
southernmost Illinois and these featured sites. Participants will
gain invaluable hands-on experience at the sites and through
research at the Cairo Public Library, Metropolis Library, the
U.S. Custom House Museum in Cairo, and the SIUC Morris Library
The course will meet once a week at SIUC beginning Monday,
June 12, at 6:00 PM (Quigley 219) and other times at regional
sites. Times will be determined by the participants and faculty.
Travel at the student's own expense will be required.
To register for the course, contact Academic Advisor, Molly
Edwards at (618) 453-1227.
Here's a sampling of what you will be researching:
Juchereau's Tannery - Va Bache
Reported to be located between the Post Creek Cut-Off at Grand
Chain and America in Pulaski County, IL, this 1702-1704 French
site was the first to be occupied by Europeans on the lower Ohio
River, 55 years earlier than the original French Fort Massac
(circa 1757-1764) which was later controlled by the British and
then rebuilt and occupied by the Americans.
Cantonment Wilkenson Ville
For several years the largest military base in the new United
States, Wilkinson Ville (circa 1801-1802) was built by General
James Wilkinson on the lower Ohio river at the Grand Chain of
Rocks as a training base- temporarily replacing Fort Massac a few
miles upstream. Wilkinson was associated with Aaron Burr and the
Great Conspiracy. Several men who served with Lewish & Clark
had previously been stationed at Wilkinson Ville.
Mound City "Marine Ways"
|USS Red Rover (1862-1865)
Line engraving after a drawing by Theodore R. Davis, published in
"Harper's Weekly", January-June 1863, page 300,
depicting a scene in the ward. Red Rover served as the U.S.
Navy's hospital ship on the Western Rivers during the Civil
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
This facility was part of a major inland rivers Union Navy
shipbuilding, hospital, and supply facility durng the Civil War.
Three of the nine ironclads,instrumental in the battle of
Vicksburg and in turning the tide of the war, were constructed at
this facility. During the Civil War, thousands of wounded were
brought by ship (including the Red Rover, the first hospital ship
in the U.S. Navy ), to the Mound City military hospital, one of
the largest military hospitals in the west. The first nurses in
the U.S. Navy, including many African-American women, served on
the Red Rover.
Fort Defiance at Cairo & the Confluence
Fort Defiance was established in the first days of the Civil
War to secure the Confluence of the Ohio River and the
Mississippi for the North. While at Cairo and fort defiance,
General Grant, assisted by Navy Admiral Foote, developed the
strategy to divide the south.
Credit will be given for Historic Preservation ARC/ID 444 -
Architectural Field Studies & History 496 - Internship.
Robert Swenson, Architect
Associate Professor - Architecture
Dr. Michael Batsinski, PhD History
402 Quigley Hall - MC4337
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale, IL 62901